Vermont Law School
Institute for Energy and the Environment
Clinical Assistant Professor Description
VERMONT LAW SCHOOL invites applications for a Clinical Assistant Professor position to lead research, create open source resources, and teach in the law school’s new Farm and Energy Initiative, which is a joint project of the Center for Agriculture and Food Systems (CAFS) and the Institute for Energy and the Environment (IEE). The position is anticipated to begin in January 2018 with the start of the spring semester but later start dates will be considered.
Given the importance of both agriculture and energy production to our economy and the critical need to improve the sustainability of both sectors, this new initiative provides a leading edge leadership opportunity for a highly qualified attorney. Some of the compelling policy areas this new initiative could address include
- promoting farms energy self-reliance,
- solar siting on agricultural land while protecting soil resources,
- future feasibility of biofuels as an energy resource, including impacts to agricultural production and lifecycle analysis, and
- the use of biodigestors to manage the reuse of organic waste & generate local energy.
- A minimum of 2 years of legal experience
- Clinical teaching experience
- Experience and interest in mentoring and supervising students
- A demonstrated commitment to public interest work – a background in energy, agriculture or both
- Excellent legal analysis, research, and writing
- High degree of professionalism in all aspects of lawyering
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Creativity and flexibility in approaching and solving problems
- Strong academic credentials
- An active U.S. bar membership
Vermont Law School is the top-ranked school for environmental law in the country. Our graduates become attorneys and environmental professionals who work across the country and the globe. We offer a rich array of environmental courses and a range of degrees including a Masters and LLM in Food and Agriculture Law and Policy and a Masters and LLM in Energy Regulation and Law as well as certificates in the JD program in food and agriculture law and energy law. More information about our environmental program is available at http://www.vermontlaw.edu/academics/centers-and-programs/environmental-law-center.
Vermont Law School’s mission is to educate lawyers for the community and the world. The faculty believes that its scholarship, teaching and service should be meaningful and relevant to the local, national, and international communities. The law school is dedicated to building a diverse faculty, and it strongly encourages candidates of color, women, veterans, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply. Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, law school transcript, writing sample and names of three references to IEE Director Kevin Jones, Vermont Law School, 164 Chelsea Street, South Royalton, VT 05068. Electronic applications are strongly preferred and can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Materials should be submitted by 5pm October 27, 2017, and clearly marked ” Clinical Assistant Professor for Farm and Energy Initiative,” although submissions received after this time may be considered until the position is filled.