Job Title: Staff Attorney-Beyond Coal
Reports To: Senior Managing Attorney
Context: As part of national Club legal team, the Staff Attorney litigates environmental cases related to the Beyond Coal campaign; helps implement strategic legal campaigns; helps build the in‑house litigation component of the Law Program; and coordinates all aspects of the Sierra Club’s legal work.
Scope: The Staff Attorney litigates key Sierra Club cases, helps implement national strategic litigation campaigns, and helps build the Sierra Club’s in‑house litigation component of its Law Program. As part of a team of attorneys, the Staff Attorney is involved with ongoing in‑house legal duties, including evaluation and supervision of the Club’s litigation docket, strategic planning with a range of Sierra Club leaders, fundraising, media work, and general supervision of the Law Program. The position involves daily contact with Sierra Club volunteer activists, staff, and attorneys throughout the nation.
- Prosecutes key Club lawsuits, under the supervision of senior staff attorneys; assumes increasing litigation responsibilities including discovery management, witness handling, principal brief writing and oral argument.
- Implements strategic, programmatic legal campaigns to support the Club’s Beyond Coal and other campaigns objectives; helps coordinate and supervise the litigation work of strategic legal campaigns; assumes primary responsibility for relationships with staff and volunteer leaders.
- Helps evaluate proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on the scope of Sierra Club participation in legal actions.
- Helps supervise and administer ongoing Club litigation so that Club can properly maintain and coordinate its climate- related docket; assumes primary responsibility for trouble shooting individual lawsuits.
- Helps develop and plan programmatic litigation campaigns to support the Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign objectives; assumes primary role in drafting legal components of strategic plans and reports.
- Analyzes legal cases and trends for Club management and membership.
- Serves as legal resource for Club membership; helps chapters and groups with their local energy related legal programs and objectives.
- Helps fundraise for the Environmental Law Program; establishes and cultivates individual donor relationships.
- Develops training, informational, educational, and fundraising materials for Environmental Law Program.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- J.D. degree and license to practice law, experience in the environmental or energy law fields preferred.
- Excellent writing and analytic skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus‑building skills.
- Strong planning and management skills
- Solid knowledge base of energy law or environmental law.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 3 exempt position.
Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.